Knuckleball HQ Community What's your speed?
Markwort Speed Sensor Baseball
JUGS Cordless Radar Gun
Sport Sensors Glove Radar
Sports Sensors Bat Swing Speed Radar

Knuckleballer Sports Cards
Niekro, Wakefield and more!
!
Not logged in [Login - Register]
go to bottom

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Knuckle-curve
0 Rotation
Superstar

Posts 101
Registered 11-18-2006
Location Studio City, Ca

Mood: jolly

posted on 12-23-2006 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Knuckle-curve

I am confused on how you throw a knuckle curve. Is it supposed to have a lot of downward rotation or not so much? Can someone explain this pitch to me.

Set small goals, and you'll be at your largest in no time.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   0%B0+Rotation 's Aim   0%B0+Rotation 's Yahoo
K-baller1
Journeyman

Posts 31
Registered 12-21-2006

Mood: baseball

posted on 12-23-2006 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've tried the K-curve, with some small succes. What I understand is that you hold it like a normal curve ball, but with you index finger curled up, holding that finger as if you were throwing a kball. Throw it like a curve. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
WhiteSox101
Hall of Famer

Posts 857
Registered 10-23-2006
Location Nicholas County, West Virginia.

Mood: Baseball, givin

posted on 12-24-2006 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote
There are many disagreements that come with this pitch. Some say that the way you described it is the correct knuckle curve, others say it is a spike curve. The same people that say that what you are explaining is a spike curve say that the real knuckle curve is what Burt Hooten threw. He held his like a 2-seam fastball, tucked his pointer and middle fingers right behind the seams and when he threw it, he pushed out with those fingers giving it at much topspin as he could getting it to drop like crazy. Try that and see what kind of results you get. I threw it like that and I get better vertical drop with it. Either way, I would say it can be called the knuckle curve.

http://hometown.aol.com/keenanb13/index.html

http://www.gaminglagoon.com/index.php?page=signup

http://www.myspace.com/k1james0

<------ That guy on the left there would be me. =D

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   WhiteSox101 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
All Star
All-Time Great

Posts 1374
Registered 7-19-2004

Mood:

posted on 2-13-2007 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
^^ I consider that a knuckle ball

GreenMonster
All-Time Great

Posts 1705
Registered 5-5-2003

Mood: (IW)Wobbly

posted on 2-14-2007 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by All Star
^^ I consider that a knuckle ball

Well, it's close. A knuckleball thrown with a lot of forward spin is really a different beast from a knuckleball, but it's in the same family. Hooten (and RA Dickey, who later threw the same pitch) called their pitches "the thang" because it was so unusual.

Another way to think of this is that there is a difference between a curve and a slurve and a slider--although no one could tell you exactly where the dividing lines are. Similarly, there is a difference between a knuckle-curve and a kunckleball.

One reason, of course, that Hooten's pitch was so unusual was that the spike curve had been employed for decades and requires a good deal less finesse.

"[Ring] One [Ring] Two [Ring] Three [Ring] Four? Four. Four Rings. Well, perhaps it is TWO postmen" -- Grover in the Monsterpiece Theatre production of "The Postman Always Rings Twice"

New Reply

go to top

The opinions expressed in these forums are those of the respective authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of this site's administrators.